Friday, September 24, 2010

The races

Andrew 'Goofy' Bryen enjoyed the distinct pleasure of turning 30 recently and we celebrated in spectacular fashion.
Six Canberra kids.
I'm not sure whose idea it was, but it was a work of brilliance - seven friends from Canberra and one from Sydney traveled the dusty roads to West Wyalong so we could attend the world renown Caragabal Sheep Races (which involved slightly further traveling on slightly dustier roads).
The event was nothing short of amazing, there was a jumping castle, there was a merry-go-round, there were SHEEP, and sheep being chased by kids. We placed bets, we drank beer, and we bought a sheep for the finals (I think it came in last).
Sheep are funny races - they run about half the track and then stop dead.
Yep, this is halfway through the race.
If your sheep wasn't winning you could scare them to a standstill and hopr for a change of fortune

They look around trying to figure out what is going on around them, and the kids scare them into finishing the race. They also jump a lot. Oh yeah, kids are released to scare the sheep back into movement. After the races we retired back to the 'Goof' residence for an bountiful feast that involved pig, sheep, cow, various salads, bread and more. This was followed by a plethora of desserts including multiple cakes, fruit salad, chocolate, toffee, and other sweet things I cannot name.As usual Goofy, Peachy, and I found the pub and we played Buck Hunter. It turns out I am not the 'Great White Hunter' I was hoping.

The sheep cake made by Amanda! Somewhat amazing.
Until next year Caragabal, we will miss you.

3 comments:

Alcifer said...

Looks awesome, Phil.

Also, your races hat is cool.

Miss amanda said...

I went to the guinea pig races a few years back. I'd never heard of sheep races. I am so bummed I missed it. *sigh* oh well maybe next year.

Scarykrill said...

we talked about guinea pig races for next year, but apparently they don't run them anymore.